A closer look at this useful tool
The HNA tool – and the process of completing it – captures the way persistent pain affects three areas of health function: physical, social and emotional functioning.
- Based on the SF36 “gold standard” health status / outcome measure
- Focuses on changeable factors and the severity of the impact of pain on health function
- The more areas the patient identifies, the more severe the impact
- Helps stratification and appropriate level of referral
- Enables the individual to focus on their current needs
- Guides clinician / patient partnership in action plans
- Helps review progress towards goals
Anonymised data helps commissioner know more about the health needs due to pain across a population. This can help commission, plan and provide health and other services.