The Health Needs Assessment (HNA)
A closer look at this useful tool
The HNA tool – and the process of completing it – captures the way persistent pain affects three areas of health function: physical, social and emotional functioning.
- Based on the SF36 “gold standard” health status / outcome measure
- Focuses on changeable factors and the severity of the impact of pain on health function
- The more areas the patient identifies, the more severe the impact
- Helps stratification and appropriate level of referral
- Enables the individual to focus on their current needs
- Guides clinician / patient partnership in action plans
- Helps review progress towards goals
- Anonymised data helps commissioner know more about the health needs due to pain across a population. This can help commission, plan and provide health and other services.
While you’re here…
Live Well with Pain is a free resource, developed by clinicians who have given their time and expertise freely to support best practice in pain self management.
Maintaining and developing the website takes time and money. If everyone who finds it useful helps to support it, the future for Live Well with Pain will be secure.
Donating only takes a moment, and even a small amount will help ensure Live Well with Pain continues to develop as a valued, free source of knowledge, skills and tools by and for clinicians working with persistent pain.